This is the 15th episode of 16 Minutes, our news show where we cover the top headlines, the a16z Podcast way: what’s real / what’s hype; what’s interesting from our vantage point in tech. This week (after a brief hiatus for our annual innovation event and November holidays), we cover the following news… in conversation with Sonal Chokshi:
- use of alternative data in credit underwriting — Five federal regulatory agencies (the Federal Reserve Board, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Office of the Controller of the Currency, and the National Credit Union Administration) recently issued a joint statement on the use of alternative data in credit underwriting; what does this news really indicate, and what are the implications for both consumers and companies? — with Seema Amble and Rex Salisbury.
- big annual shopping days and retail trends — From Black Friday to Cyber Monday to Singles’ Day and Prime Day and seemingly unprecedented sales, where are we in the shift from offline to online commerce, on the so-called “death of retail”, and on other tech (chatbots, logistics) changing shopping? — with Jeff Jordan and Connie Chan.
Relevant/ related links:
- credit, banking, data:
- use of cash-flow data in underwriting credit: empirical findings via FinRegLab
- a brief history of credit cards (or, what actually happens when you swipe) [animated video] with Alex Rampell
- on managing risk and uncertainty with Angela Strange
- on non-bank financial firms (aka fintech is eating the world) by Angela Strange
- on money, risk, and software [podcast] with Alex Rampell
- retail, logistics, etc.:
- the golden era of productivity, retail, supply chains [podcast] with Marc Levinson, Hanne Tidnam, and Sonal Chokshi
- where’s my stuff, the lowdown on logistics and ops [podcast] with Jeff Jordan
- online to offline 2.0 – experiments and examples from China with Connie Chan
- online to offline (O2O) commerce by Alex Rampell
- the tipping point (e-commerce version) by Jeff Jordan
- so you want to compete with Amazon? by Jeff Jordan
The views expressed here are those of the individual AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (“a16z”) personnel quoted and are not the views of a16z or its affiliates. Certain information contained in here has been obtained from third-party sources, including from portfolio companies of funds managed by a16z. While taken from sources believed to be reliable, a16z has not independently verified such information and makes no representations about the enduring accuracy of the information or its appropriateness for a given situation.
This content is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal, business, investment, or tax advice. You should consult your own advisers as to those matters. References to any securities or digital assets are for illustrative purposes only, and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Furthermore, this content is not directed at nor intended for use by any investors or prospective investors, and may not under any circumstances be relied upon when making a decision to invest in any fund managed by a16z. (An offering to invest in an a16z fund will be made only by the private placement memorandum, subscription agreement, and other relevant documentation of any such fund and should be read in their entirety.) Any investments or portfolio companies mentioned, referred to, or described are not representative of all investments in vehicles managed by a16z, and there can be no assurance that the investments will be profitable or that other investments made in the future will have similar characteristics or results. A list of investments made by funds managed by Andreessen Horowitz (excluding investments for which the issuer has not provided permission for a16z to disclose publicly as well as unannounced investments in publicly traded digital assets) is available at https://a16z.com/investments/.
Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others. Please see https://a16z.com/disclosures for additional important information.