This episode of 16 Minutes on the News covers the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ “historic rules” to provide patients more control of their data. They’ve been a long time coming, and despite recent fights over them, the final rules are now finally here as of this week.
So in this short but deep dive, a16z bio experts — general partner Julie Yoo and Venkat Mocherla in market development (in conversation with Sonal Chokshi) — go into:
- 0:47 how the rules fit into our healthcare system, especially with everything else going on right now in hospitals and beyond;
- 3:11-8:37 what the rules specifically are and why they matter;
- 6:21 concrete examples including why things like notifications are important;
- 8:42 implications for providers and payers, including examples such as prior authorization;
- 11:10 where privacy concerns do and don’t come in, given how much information is contained in records;
- 13:40 implications for startups, tech incumbents, and traditional players in healthcare, and new types of data down the road; and
- 18:27 the bottomline.