Today we are excited to announce the closing of two new funds, bringing our total assets under management to nearly $16.5 billion. While many things in our industry have changed since we started the firm in 2009, closing these funds represents a continuation of our core strategy.
We continue to believe in:
- Software eating the world. We will continue to look for new verticals in which the application of software can create compelling investment opportunities.
- Investing in the best companies, regardless of stage. We have dedicated early-stage and growth funds, and collaborate closely among all of our investing teams, to ensure that we have the opportunity to invest in the most exciting businesses, from seed through later-stage growth investments.
- Investing heavily in network development. Approximately 100 of our 185 employees are dedicated to creating the deepest and broadest network among institutions and people who seek business relationships with our portfolio companies. These deep connections help our portfolio accelerate their own growth efforts.
- The power of entrepreneurship. We remain optimistic about the power of technology and the innovation that entrepreneurship brings to market. Ultimately, we seek to build a venture capital firm that respects the entrepreneurial process and that supports entrepreneurs in realizing their vision.
A little more on each of the funds we are announcing today:
- Fund VII – $1.3 billion. This is an early-stage fund to invest in consumer, enterprise, and financial services technologies. With eleven primary investing partners (across these three verticals), Fund VII will continue to invest in seed and early-stage venture rounds.
- Growth II – $3.2 billion. This is a later-stage fund that invests across all of the core a16z vertical domains: consumer, enterprise, financial technology, bio, and crypto. With three primary investing partners working in partnership with all of our early-stage investing partners, Growth II has the ability to back companies that already exist within other a16z early-stage funds and in companies with which we do not have an existing investment. Growth II looks for companies that have demonstrated product-market fit and are looking to expand their go-to-market footprint.
As always, we are grateful to the limited partners who have entrusted us with their capital and to the ingenuity of each of the entrepreneurs we’ve had the chance to work with over the past 11-and-a-half years. The future remains bright and we look forward to seeing new entrepreneurs make that future a reality.
The views expressed here are those of the individual AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (“a16z”) personnel quoted and are not the views of a16z or its affiliates. Certain information contained in here has been obtained from third-party sources, including from portfolio companies of funds managed by a16z. While taken from sources believed to be reliable, a16z has not independently verified such information and makes no representations about the enduring accuracy of the information or its appropriateness for a given situation. In addition, this content may include third-party advertisements; a16z has not reviewed such advertisements and does not endorse any advertising content contained therein.
This content is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal, business, investment, or tax advice. You should consult your own advisers as to those matters. References to any securities or digital assets are for illustrative purposes only, and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Furthermore, this content is not directed at nor intended for use by any investors or prospective investors, and may not under any circumstances be relied upon when making a decision to invest in any fund managed by a16z. (An offering to invest in an a16z fund will be made only by the private placement memorandum, subscription agreement, and other relevant documentation of any such fund and should be read in their entirety.) Any investments or portfolio companies mentioned, referred to, or described are not representative of all investments in vehicles managed by a16z, and there can be no assurance that the investments will be profitable or that other investments made in the future will have similar characteristics or results. A list of investments made by funds managed by Andreessen Horowitz (excluding investments for which the issuer has not provided permission for a16z to disclose publicly as well as unannounced investments in publicly traded digital assets) is available at https://a16z.com/investments/.
Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others. Please see https://a16z.com/disclosures for additional important information.